I'm opening Optimum (https://www.warlight.net/Clans/?ID=202
) to developers and anyone else interested in expanding the Warlight metagame.What it's about
I made Optimum because while the core Warlight game works well and has a ton of wortwhile features, the same can't be said about the metagame or virtually all community/metagame-related features. CLOT hasn't taken off, tournaments offer a very limited range of options, clans are heavily constrained by limited software infrastructure, and all of the big community leagues (Clan League, Promotion/Relegation, Clan Challenge League, etc.) are run manually.
I'm trying to tackle three of those four things- CLOT, tournaments, leagues, etc.- by (slowly) developing an alternative to the CLOT framework that requires less effort/understanding to set up and offers more options. (If you're interested in helping out there, PM me with your GitHub username and I'll add you to the group).
But on the clans end, I see a lot of potential that has yet to be leveraged:
- Clans have the potential to serve as a strong player development and retention pipeline. I don't think they do this yet.
- Few clans offer tangible benefits. A good portion of these aren't open to the vast majority of the playerbase.
- A lot of people come in with no idea of how to improve or never stumble across some exciting aspects of the metagame- like the independent leagues, sometimes not even the ladders. There's a lot of luck and effort involved, and very often people just end up getting sucked into the 1v1 auto-game vortex or into bad real-time diplomacy games.
So Optimum exists. The point of Optimum is to develop features like:
- Automated real-time matchmaking for members
- Interesting leagues run with minimal human effort
- Regular user-tracking to monitor growth and maintain awareness (for clan leaders)
- A more straightforward learning environment
- A stronger community platform
- Opportunities for players to easily (hyper)specialize and focus on one aspect of the game
The endgame of this project is to extend what Fizzer built with better community tools and to tie them into the site using browser extensions (and hopefully other, less clunky methods) to develop Warlight's metagame into what it could be.
In that process, I see Optimum as a sort of "Warlight+ Beta" where we can use a single clan (hopefully a decent-sized set of players) to test these features and work out the kinks. Once we get past this stage (which I'll somewhat appropriately label Optimum Alpha), I'd like to open up the clan to anyone motivated to learn/improve at/play the game (regardless of skill level) because that's the group I'm interested in targeting.
Unfortunately, I don't have the time to actually do all this alone. So I'm opening up Optimum right now to anyone interested in helping out. You don't have to be a developer- just anyone interested in improving the community. Build/test some manual leagues, share ideas, etc.- we just need to tackle this problem together if we want to solve it.
So, if interested, PM me. If you're a dev, include your GitHub username so I can add you to a related GitHub group (that's mostly empty right now except for the old 1v1 ladder CLOT repository and the beginnings of CSL).
Edited 11/5/2015 17:06:03