Although I am new on this site, the game of Warlight came to my attention few years ago. The game was fascinating in it's simplicity and beauty, but, I never consider playing online multiplayer games. Until about 20 days ago.
Between whole games I started playing there were many auto games, but also games set by players. Didn't think that settings can be set dirty until I played this game for several days:https://www.warlight.net/MultiPlayer?GameID=10266352
game host is: https://www.warlight.net/Profile?p=7160856803
(you'll note that in mere 22 days he managed to win lvl 44 most of that in real time games FFA)
First message from the game host:
YOU MUST START IN THE CITY BECAUSE YOU ONLY START WITH 1 TROOP AND INCOMES ARE 0!!!
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
Settings that of concern are (ranked game):
- pm not allowed (that is not of immediate problem)
- manual distribution
- move order no-luck cycle
- territorial limit per player
- Initial army per territory 0
- army per neutral territory (both distribution and non distribution) 0
OK, now explanation.
1. Game starts in no-luck cycle therefore you have to find best spot as early as you can - first pick is measured by time, so if you are late, you don't get anything.
2. In the game (map Rise of Rome) there are only 5 cities (1 territory) so without any reinforce all players out of 1 province cities are out of the game. He knew that but invited 15 players of which 10 are out before game started.
3. In the map, if no threat around, only one city gives winning position Ctesiphon in Parthia - all others come each to other in 4-10 turns with this setting, but Parthia has 2 superbonuses which are easily achieved as there are no threats from other players save Byzantium
4. In the game you can't ask others to refrain of attacks while you deal with more immediate problem, but that is not problem for player who already has winning situation before game starts. When you, who play the game, see after turn 17 that someone has 287 armies and your income is about 30 you know that something is wrong. First, I was thinking that he is multi with my more immediate neighbour, but turn later I knew that game host tricked us to the game to win his points
I wonder how many such games he started luring other players to "fair" settings, but, his score which is almost 100% for all 9+ FFA games says that he learned about leak in settings, at least for this map, so he took advantage, and that is especially true for real time games where players often don't see what is going on and don't check the history after the game.
I suggest for all players to avoid playing games he set and I suggest to Fizzer to find a way to strip him of his levels, which are probably earned on ultimately unfair means.