Help
Community   Maps   Forum   Mail   Ladders   Clans   Recent Games
Sign In | Sign Up
<< Back to General Forum   

Posts 1 - 15 of 15   
Where is the science in attacking with 1 army?: 4/25/2016 13:12:11

Semicedevine
Level 59
I've seen tons of pros in 1v1 ladder games attack each other with 1 army but I've never really been able to make out why.

So far I only understand two benefits:

1) The opponent plans to attack a neutral with 3 armies and only has a total of 4 armies on their territory. If they lose 1 army from the attack, they'll run 2 armies into the neutral which can cost them a lot of momentum.

2) The opponent is about to strike your territory of 2 armies. He would kill 2 armies while you would only kill 1 army. However, if you send an attack of 1 army, you'll be able to kill 2 of his armies as opposed to 1.

But then you have these games where Tyrion is constantly attacking with armies of 1 regardless: https://www.warlight.net/MultiPlayer?GameID=10712556

(Turn 2 in Central Russia, Turn 5 and Turn 10 in Central America)

Like... wtf can someone please enlighten me on this.
Where is the science in attacking with 1 army?: 4/25/2016 13:38:00

Master Farah♦
Level 58
Don't forget the extra delay you get from a tap.
Where is the science in attacking with 1 army?: 4/25/2016 13:47:56

Buns157 
Level 66
Quicker card pieces.
Where is the science in attacking with 1 army?: 4/25/2016 14:00:52

DanWL
Level 61
To get maximum possible income on a turn. For example, in https://www.warlight.net/MultiPlayer?GameID=11011682 on turn 3 if I didn't tap Antarctica with a 1 then a 2, I would have missed out on +3 more income for a turn.
Where is the science in attacking with 1 army?: 4/25/2016 14:10:01

Pulsey
Level 56
On 0% SR, 1 single attacking army always kills 1 defending army. So its a no loss, no risk scenario.

You get an extra delay, and you also manage to marginally reduce the stacks of either side. When you have income advantage, you want to have low number of armies on the board.
Where is the science in attacking with 1 army?: 4/25/2016 14:13:32

Judeburger 
Level 58
I mostly use attacks of 1 as cheap delays. In 0% luck both parties lose 1 army no matter what the stack sizes are, so you can "attack" with 1:1 losses, compared to attacking with a larger stack where you run the risk of loosing more than you kill.

Also, if you are playing with the settings such that territories can be left with 0 defending armies, an attack of 1 is all you need to take it. This can be useful for area denial in a big, open map where there is a good chance some spots will be undefended.
Where is the science in attacking with 1 army?: 4/25/2016 14:28:11

Wally Balls 
Level 58

Use this and then remember that attacking with 1 kills 1, and you can see in a lot of situations, it makes sense.
Where is the science in attacking with 1 army?: 4/25/2016 14:47:46

Aste
Level 55
" Quicker card pieces."

???
Where is the science in attacking with 1 army?: 4/25/2016 16:27:37

Wally Balls 
Level 58
https://www.warlight.net/MultiPlayer?GameID=11030425

Watch Turn 3. I used them for two purposes:

1. to delay my attack in Canada (it worked, even though he tried to delay as well)

2. so i could go into South Africa and Indonesia with fewer armies in the next turn
Where is the science in attacking with 1 army?: 4/25/2016 16:33:15

Semicedevine
Level 59
yes I'm well aware of it allowing you to take a neutral of 4 with one less army, but I'm asking about when you attack the opponent with 1 army. Is there really no other benefit other than delaying, and the ones I listed above?

Quicker card pieces.

Also wtf lel
Where is the science in attacking with 1 army?: 4/25/2016 16:36:42

GeneralPE
Level 56
It kills one of their guys, but saves you more than attacking with 2. But IDRK too much about fancy shit like that.
Where is the science in attacking with 1 army?: 4/25/2016 16:52:09

Wally Balls 
Level 58
Is there really no other benefit other than delaying, and the ones I listed above?

Think about it like boxing. Each little jab isn't designed to knock the other guy out. Some of them are just little jabs. Weakening your opponent.

Though you're confusing some with people only having 1 army left after being attacked. That is what happened in Turn 10 in your link in the OP. He surely was going to attack with more but after he got hit on both spots, he only had 2 armies left.

Edited 4/25/2016 16:53:10
Where is the science in attacking with 1 army?: 4/25/2016 16:53:45

Hades
Level 62
Sometimes you can kill more armies with taps, lets say for example, I have 8 troops per turn. An enemy might have broken one of my bonuses and have a territory there. He knows I have 8, so stupidly deploys enough to have 6 armies there. thinking I can only attack with 8, and kill 5. If I have 3 territories bordering the enemy territory, I might instead split the 8 troops up into 2 1 attacks and a 6 attack. The 2 1's kill 1 each, and the 6 kills 4, meaning I kill 6 in total and take the bonus back.
Where is the science in attacking with 1 army?: 4/25/2016 16:58:00

TeamGuns 
Level 58
^+1
Where is the science in attacking with 1 army?: 4/25/2016 16:59:00

Kenny • apex 
Level 59
@Semic: In any scenario where the opponent is likely to hit you, they will likely hit you with a logical amount of armies (2,3,5,6,8,10) etc. So if you were to hit them first with the 1 their attack shifts into a less favorable position. (1,2,4,5,7,9) This can be a very big deal since you're exacting no loss from doing it in most cases, and you're gaining a delay on top of it. Think of double border situations in which you have to guess the right option to defend. You could put 6 defenders on 1 territory and 1 defender on the other, or you could put 5 defenders on 1 territory and 2 defenders on the other. Now consider your opponent has 8 to attack you with. Yes, putting 6 defenders down on the correct territory will defend that territory, but if you know your opponent will order delay you can tap his territory from 1 and make the same defense (8 attackers --> 7, which can't kill 5). Now you have a chance at outdelaying him and ensuring yourself the original territory the opponent is from, or some other benefit on the map if you're fighting him elsewhere. That can make or break a game.

What Buns means by faster card pieces is that in some cases you have 2 leftovers bordering the same territory, instead of deploying 2 to one territory, you can deploy 1 to one territory and use the other leftover as a tap. This gives you +1 deploy somewhere else that could be necessary.
Posts 1 - 15 of 15   

Contact | About WarLight | Play Risk Online | Multiplayer Strategy Game | Challenge Friends, Win Money | Skill Game | Terms of Service