Hillary Clinton elected US President: 11/8/2016 18:36:13

Major General Smedley Butler
Level 49
What the much more respectable Clinton supporter said
Hillary Clinton elected US President: 11/8/2016 18:44:58

The Lord
Level 54
I like coffee.

In 24 hours, Crooked Hillary might be in guantanamo.

Edited 11/8/2016 18:48:57
Hillary Clinton elected US President: 11/8/2016 18:53:32

Richard Sharpe 
Level 59
Knyte, why 24 hours? It will almost certainly be known in 8-10 hours.
Hillary Clinton elected US President: 11/8/2016 19:06:55

knyte 
Level 58
@Richard: recounts/concessions/any other messes. Some states have automatic recounts if their results are within a certain %-age. Odds are we'll get decent results starting around 9p ET (7h from now) and have a really good idea of what's going on around 1a ET (11h from how). But there's a chance that this election comes down to the wire or that something stupid or another happens. It's possibly close enough that exit poll based forecasts (the ones we typically get from networks) might be wrong at first or get reversed- then again, there's about the same chance that Clinton not only wins but wins in a landslide.

Basically, don't count your chickens till they hatch. Wait a little bit to be extra-sure; if there's no mess 24 hours from now, we can be pretty sure there's not gonna be a mess between now and January.
Hillary Clinton elected US President: 11/8/2016 19:09:17

Wally Balls 
Level 58
It's already known. Only two questions remain:

1. Will Trump concede?

2. Will Hillary have him arrested?
Hillary Clinton elected US President: 11/8/2016 19:15:38

knyte 
Level 58
Dude, again, the polls were 2-3% off consistently in 2012. Margin of error is a real thing, and it tends to correlate between states.

I'm as certain in a Hillary win as anyone else; I've seen her ground game, I've been part of it. It's extraordinary. This is easily the best-organized campaign of all time competing against one of the worst-organized campaigns of all time.

But let's wait for the actual results to come in and the picture to be crystal clear.
Hillary Clinton elected US President: 11/8/2016 19:17:27

Level 49
Bro Bernie totally still has a chance bro
Hillary Clinton elected US President: 11/8/2016 19:22:14

Eklipse {TJC}
Level 57
This is the same kind of overconfidence that made newspapers print "Dewey defeats Truman" in 1948. They all looked like the biggest idiots of the country by the end of the day.

I think Clinton will probably win this one, but acting like it's a foregone conclusion before the first results even come in is just asking to get yourself made into a fool.
Hillary Clinton elected US President: 11/8/2016 19:24:27

knyte 
Level 58
I think Clinton will probably win this one, but acting like it's a foregone conclusion before the first results even come in is just asking to get yourself made into a fool.

Exactly. On the bright side, if people with strong views on either side are open to eating socks, at least we can get something fun out of this.

Bet: I'll record myself eating 15 of the spiciest kind of wings (Afterburners) from Wings Over if Clinton loses Pennsylvania.
Hillary Clinton elected US President: 11/8/2016 19:25:53

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 51
I wish a Republican wins one day.
Hillary Clinton elected US President: 11/8/2016 19:26:36

[FEL] The Prince of Felidia
Level 55
In 24h, Donald Trump might be in jail.
Hillary Clinton elected US President: 11/8/2016 19:26:37

[FEL] The Prince of Felidia
Level 55
In 24h, Donald Trump might be in jail.
Hillary Clinton elected US President: 11/8/2016 19:26:40

Level 49
Exactly. On the bright side, if people with strong views on either side are open to eating socks, at least we can get something fun out of this.

One reason I want trump to win. I live in Austin, the liberal capital of Texas (and actual capital of Texas). Oh how juicy it'll be to tell a liberal that's lost faith in the US government "so why don't you Move to Somalia?".
Hillary Clinton elected US President: 11/8/2016 19:28:45

knyte 
Level 58
@MGSB: Haha, the People's Republic of Austin, giving Texas Democrats a terrible name.

That said, if you take out Austin and Orange County- Texas Democrats and California Republicans are exactly what this country needs to get things working again.

Not to say either group has got it exactly right, but at least they bother to engage in discourse instead of being ready to throw their friends and family with differing political opinions under the bus as "deplorables" and whatnot.

Edited 11/8/2016 19:29:36
Hillary Clinton elected US President: 11/8/2016 19:31:39

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 51
^We need more Massachusetts Republicans. They have sanity and do not support:
1.Religious conservatism.
2.Racism.

The problem with mixing religion and politics is that a lot of effort is sent on issues with zero secular importance such as lack of recognition of gay marriages. The very fact that this is even debated is a waste of time and resources.

The problem with racism is self-evident. However racism also includes anti-majority racism. When you ban the evil n-word you should ban the c-word as well. That's real equal treatment.

Maybe most policies should be economic in nature.

Edited 11/8/2016 19:35:06
Hillary Clinton elected US President: 11/8/2016 19:34:42

knyte 
Level 58
It's not about the conclusions, it's about the process.

Ideas need to live and die in the light of public discourse. And dialogue isn't just both sides talking- it's both sides listening, too. Calling the other side a "hate group" or calling for their (political or physical) elimination is not the hallmark of a democratic and free society.

I just wish we went back to listening more as a country. There's smart people all over the political spectrum- hell, I'll be the first to concede that there's probably someone much smarter than me supporting most of the policies I find to be flawed. We just have to all be ready to acknowledge that- our odds of being wrong are higher than we think they are, and the only way to really work through that is by listening to (and engaging with) other people and their ideas.

And you know what? If Tim Tebow is motivated to do good in the world because of his faith, I'm not gonna rail against that. It's a part of who he is and it makes him happy. I don't believe in any gods- hell, I'm strongly convinced that there ain't one- but if religious politicians are willing to operate within the confines of a free and religiously diverse society that doesn't try to shove anyone under the bus on religious grounds, I'm not coming after them. Hell, I'll cheer 'em on as they put a blanket on that hungry kid or unite the community.

I haven't lived a strongly religious lifestyle, but I know that to some people that's their whole life- the church is their community. And it's not my place to deny that.

Edited 11/8/2016 19:39:59
Hillary Clinton elected US President: 11/8/2016 19:36:44

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 51
^Yes. However real demagogues work better IRL since most humans don't think rationally.

I was thinking about a hypothetical situation where either a cult-based militant group attempts to exterminating everyone else or an ancestry-based one doing so.

While most people head towards more tolerance, freedom and positive things in general, it opens the door to those who are potentially the most genocidal people in the world because not many people will even believe that such humans exist any more.

One of the most effective ways of permanently maintaining control over any land is to expel others. However none is as effective as a global genocide. Hence there is strong incentives to commit such heinous crimes.

Edited 11/8/2016 19:40:41
- downvoted post by Wally Balls
Hillary Clinton elected US President: 11/8/2016 19:42:33

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 51
@knyte I believe mixing religion and politics leads to problems. The key issue is that a lot of policies that make sense if a religion is true makes no sense if it is wrong. For example if Islam is really correct we'd better enforce Sharia on Planet Earth now. However if it is incorrect this will just result in millions of homosexuals executed for no reason.

The problem is not religion, instead the problem is faith, a belief in religion/atheism/etc that may not be true and its consequences of considering what you believe by faith to be reality.

Edited 11/8/2016 19:47:57
Hillary Clinton elected US President: 11/8/2016 19:54:40

knyte 
Level 58
That's fair. But we also have to remember that a lot of people are living out their lives on the strongly-held assumption that their religion is true- and we can't change that reality.

I support a secular society for sure, but there's still a place for religion in politics as long as people are willing to entertain the reality that they might actually be wrong (which is tough) or at least acknowledge the interests of other groups in society.
Hillary Clinton elected US President: 11/8/2016 20:00:13

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 51
^I'm not saying that religion is necessarily wrong or harmful. However it should not mix with politics since politics is about regulating other people's behaviors. Religious politics is by definition religious policies imposed on the public.

Edited 11/8/2016 20:01:52
Hillary Clinton elected US President: 11/8/2016 20:06:16

knyte 
Level 58
Sure, but all politics is about imposing your value system (or well, imposing some aggregate of people's value systems) on the public. Religious and secular viewpoints can both be extremely impactful and also deeply wrong.

For me, it's important to exclude the smallest number of voices from the decision-making/discussion process.
Hillary Clinton elected US President: 11/8/2016 20:08:52

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 51
^What if most people vote for legalizing rape (or de facto doing that)? What about executing homosexuals? Executing apostates? Executing secular people for being secular? Legalizing cannibalism? Exterminating a small group of people?

What about let's think about..probability. For example the probability of Islam being correct isn't high while the probability of Mormonism being correct is even lower. The probability of Pastafarianism being correct is zero. Hence religious policies should correlate with the probability the religion is correct.

Edited 11/8/2016 20:11:40
Hillary Clinton elected US President: 11/8/2016 20:09:09

Richard Sharpe 
Level 59
Makes sense. There is a high likelihood we will have 90% certainty by this evening but there is still the slight chance you alluded to that this could drag on.

^We need more Massachusetts Republicans. They have sanity and do not support:

Hey, that's kinda me (though unenrolled). That said, they don't get very far on the national stage. Too centrist. Not far enough right to stand a chance against the Ted Cruz's of the country. Just look at what Romney had to do to his platform to get mainstream GOP backing and how he then fared at the national level.

Agree that those type of politicians are needed... problem is, our current political climate does not support them on either side of the fence.

Edited 11/8/2016 20:12:44
Hillary Clinton elected US President: 11/8/2016 20:16:14

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 51
^LOL the same as me. Well, right/left does not explain religious and racial policies. To me we need a balance in economic policies, get rid of all religious policies and ban racism (including anti-majority racism as well). Inner city blacks need to be integrated, education promoted among them and similar policies in education are necessary for some white Southerners as well.

Romney attempted to introduce religious policies (death penalty) in MA and of course it did not work. We are too secular to accept religious policies.

Edited 11/8/2016 20:19:04
Hillary Clinton elected US President: 11/8/2016 20:16:21

knyte 
Level 58
^What if most people vote for legalizing rape (or de facto doing that)? What about executing homosexuals? Executing apostates? Executing secular people for being secular? Legalizing cannibalism? Exterminating a small group of people?

Democracy must be constrained by a fundamental respect for human rights and equal worth- or it invalidates its own basis. To implement policies of that sort is to exit a free and democratic society.

At the end of the day, democracy's not about making the right decisions- you can't look at this election and tell me that democracy optimizes for that- but instead about giving everyone a chance to be heard and allowing for us to actually engage in discussion about our values, beliefs, and viewpoints as a society so that we can move forward together.

Like Gandhi once put it- freedom means nothing without the freedom to make mistakes.
Posts 1 - 30 of 67   1  2  3  Next >>   

Contact | About WarLight | Play Risk Online | Multiplayer Strategy Game | Challenge Friends, Win Money | Skill Game | Terms of Service