Help
Community   Maps   Forum   Mail   Ladders   Clans   Recent Games
Sign In | Sign Up
<< Back to Off-topic Forum   

Posts 1 - 7 of 7   
Abolish ethnic studies: 11/24/2016 18:35:34

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 51
I personally believe that ethnic studies should not exist.

Reasons:

1. Ethnic studies have not produced any useful ideas. There is a reason why CS, EE or mathematics need to exist since they produce useful ideas. What have ethnic studies produced that has enriched humanity?

2. Ethnic studies are in essence reverse racism. Well not necessarily. We should be glad that there were no "Irish American Studies" or "Japanese American Studies" in 1920 (due to reason 4)!

3. If ethnic studies exist so that members of these ethnic groups can improve, they have failed in their mission. Ex: There is something called "African American Studies (AAS)" in many universities and colleges. However majority African American ghettos still exist. I wonder what are these AAS scholars doing? If AAS is truly beneficial where are their benefits? It's more like placebo than effective medicine.

4. The existence of ethnic studies result in members of these ethnic groups majoring in ethnic studies instead of something useful which actually harm these ethnic groups in the long run.

Edited 11/24/2016 18:42:50
Abolish ethnic studies: 11/24/2016 19:51:06

[FEL] The Prince of Felidia
Level 55
I personally believe that Taggy Jubbernaut should not exist.

Reasons:

1. He's a fucking twat

2. He's a twatting fuck

3. He's a fucking fuck

4. He's a twatting twat
Abolish ethnic studies: 11/24/2016 20:18:12

Жұқтыру
Level 55
Tabby Juggernaut does not exist ! I have deleted her and her hateful anti-dog speech, since they are worse than rats !

Yeah !
Abolish ethnic studies: 11/25/2016 20:24:41

wct
Level 56
[Downvoted unhelpful comments. The topic itself is not out of place in OT, so I upvoted the thread, as it was hidden. If people focus on voting on comments more (and not just threads), the quality of discussions in the forums would drastically improve, IMO.]

I guess some context is needed for non-USAians, since the term 'ethnic studies' on its own doesn't sound bad or non-useful. But I suppose you mean this?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_studies

Tabby, perhaps you could provide some more context by giving specific examples of problems with Ethnic Studies as it is practiced in the US? Maybe you could critique some specific parts of the curriculum? Aside from the Wikipedia article (which I've only skimmed), I know next to nothing about it as a field of study.
Abolish ethnic studies: 11/25/2016 20:39:57

wct
Level 56
Some general feedback, though:
1. Ethnic studies have not produced any useful ideas. There is a reason why CS, EE or mathematics need to exist since they produce useful ideas. What have ethnic studies produced that has enriched humanity?
Without more context, I can't tell if this is true or not of 'Ethnic Studies', but if I substitute 'the Arts' or 'Culture in general' for 'Ethnic Studies', then I think you might be conflating 'what is useful' for 'what is valuable' or 'what we ought to study'. IMO, I think usefulness is a good measure of how true a claim is, but art and culture don't have to be true in order to be valuable (fiction being a prime example; it is literally false, otherwise it would be non-fiction).

Usefulness on its own can be applied towards different purposes. What we apply it to depends on our values. For example, I value the enjoyment of arts and culture in general. Therefore, even if Ethnic Studies is only similar to the Arts or other forms of cultural study in general, it might still be worthwhile to pursue, just as the arts and culture are in general.

Are you saying that Ethnic Studies doesn't even measure up to something like studying art or culture in general? (Again, this is where lack of country-specific curriculum context is preventing a better reply.)

3. If ethnic studies exist so that members of these ethnic groups can improve, they have failed in their mission. Ex: There is something called "African American Studies (AAS)" in many universities and colleges. However majority African American ghettos still exist. I wonder what are these AAS scholars doing? If AAS is truly beneficial where are their benefits? It's more like placebo than effective medicine.

Are you certain that Ethnic Studies was formed for the purpose of improving members of the ethnic group? My brief skimming of the Wikipedia article didn't seem to agree with that.

4. The existence of ethnic studies result in members of these ethnic groups majoring in ethnic studies instead of something useful which actually harm these ethnic groups in the long run.

This point depends on point #1 being true (and my general objection to point #1 above being answered also). Still not convinced that Ethnic Studies cannot even measure up to something like studying the Arts or culture in general. More background info is needed.
Abolish ethnic studies: 11/26/2016 19:51:25

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 51
^My main complaint about ethnic studies (mainly African American Studies, abbreviated as AAS, as well as anything modeled after it) is that they turn out to be very harmful. What really matters is not what AAS is about. The main issue is that it causes black students to major in AAS instead of more rewarding disciplines such as math, computer science, etc. If AAS did not exist black students would have to major in something that may be more rewarding financially in the long run. Now with the existence of AAS it actually harms these students.
Abolish ethnic studies: 11/27/2016 01:44:27

wct
Level 56
Tabby, that doesn't answer any of my issues. Let me tweak what you just said, and hopefully you'll be able to see why it doesn't convince me:
My main complaint about the arts (mainly Fine Arts - Sculpture, abbreviated FAS) is that they turn out to be very harmful. What really matters is not what FAS is about. The main issue is that it causes people interested in sculpture to major in FAS instead of more rewarding disciplines such as math, computer science, etc. If FAS did not exist people interested in sculpture would have to major in something that may be more rewarding financially in the long run. Now with the existence of FAS it actually harms these students.

Do you see how this argument makes no sense?
Posts 1 - 7 of 7   

Contact | About WarLight | Play Risk Online | Multiplayer Strategy Game | Challenge Friends, Win Money | Skill Game | Terms of Service