Community   Maps   Forum   Mail   Ladders   Clans   Recent Games
Sign In | Sign Up
<< Back to Off-topic Forum   

Posts 1 - 19 of 19   
Emotion and politics should stay out of science: 5/8/2017 11:38:11

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 53
Follow facts wherever they lead.

Societies are usually overnormative (i.e. confuse factual and normative statements) and hyperemotional because they are usually overwhelmingly NT.

Edited 5/8/2017 11:40:34
Emotion and politics should stay out of science: 5/8/2017 15:30:58

The Cruelest
Level 56
^ Unfortunately, politics has dissolved into moral arguments and not rational ones. At the end of the day people want to feel a sense of unearned moral superiority because they believe their argument is more "moral" than the other persons.

If we see anybody doing this then we need to slap them with moral arguments of our own or point out inconsistencies in their own ideology.

NTs will always choose what seems "fair" then what is rational/logical. To convince them, we have to speak their language. Point out that what they want isn't fair at all.

Edited 5/8/2017 15:31:31
Emotion and politics should stay out of science: 5/8/2017 15:44:38

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 53
^The key issue here is that moral arguments can never end unless we at least share the same basis of morality which is hopefully science and human survival.

Sometimes what is fair may not be optimal. An unfair society in which everyone is fed is better than a strictly egalitarian society (i.e. Khmer Rouge) where everyone starves. What is the purpose of fairness and morality in general? Improving human lives. What good does a moral standard do if it makes most humans miserable?

That's a bit similar to visions of hell by some fundamentalist Pentacostals. If stealing just one cent or just mere thoughts results in hell fire forever even though the harm these things do is trivial or nonexistent, the punishment is much more harmful to humanity than the crime/sin and the very existence of such judgement the greatest woe of humanity. What good does justice do if it results in the eternal torture of all but a select few?

Edited 5/8/2017 15:49:45
Emotion and politics should stay out of science: 5/8/2017 15:59:58

{Canidae} Kretoma
Level 57
Humans disagree on everything. Even human survival. There exists a Voluntary Human Extinction Movement. ;)
Emotion and politics should stay out of science: 5/8/2017 16:08:52

The Cruelest
Level 56
Absolutely right, Taby. However, modern theologians consider that without our bodies, we wouldn't be able to feel pain and therefore, hell is a torture of the soul, not of physical injury. Imagine how one would torture an AI.

To my knowledge, any Christian denominations that does not maintain the belief of infinite salvation is not considered to follow the New Testament.

Moral standards that do not promote the well-being of the maximum number of humans are useless. I suppose that rationalists are utilitarians with an additional consideration of Lockeian individual rights.

Edited 5/8/2017 16:09:14
Emotion and politics should stay out of science: 5/8/2017 17:30:21

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 53
^I agree that I'm a utilitarian with additional consideration of individual rights. However my idea of individual rights does not include any form of power to dominate over others or reproduction because both affect other people.
Emotion and politics should stay out of science: 5/9/2017 12:55:58

GeneralPE
Level 56
>rationalism
Not this shit again
Emotion and politics should stay out of science: 5/9/2017 17:48:41

Leibstandarte (Vengeance)
Level 45
Kretoma, is at the flag of 'Green Army'?
Emotion and politics should stay out of science: 5/10/2017 01:48:41

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 53
^^You sentimental people are never sufficiently harsh when necessary.

Had Rhodesia use a much more drastic policy (mass expulsions no matter what) it would still exist today. Sure people will complain. So what? For example if Rhodesia simply exterminated all Zambians and annexed Zambia, who dares to retaliate if Rhodesia had nukes? So for a black African country without nukes, provoking Rhodesia would be a bad idea. Get some nukes from South Africa or make some and you will be fine. Aim your nukes at all capitals of the world and declare a "No Rhodesia, no humanity" policy. There would simply be no Rhodesian Bush War if no Rhodesian natives even existed. Rhodesia would live.

Edited 5/10/2017 02:16:19
Emotion and politics should stay out of science: 5/10/2017 06:29:20

{Canidae} Kretoma
Level 57
It is the flag of Green Anarchism. Thou i like that Australian Movement, too. ;)
Emotion and politics should stay out of science: 5/10/2017 12:57:23

Semicedevine 
Level 60
there is no debate anymore

it's just a bunch of flaming nowadays
Emotion and politics should stay out of science: 5/10/2017 13:19:30

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 53
^Not really. However there are too many irrationalists here.
Emotion and politics should stay out of science: 5/10/2017 16:10:16

Japanball
Level 56
Like you
Emotion and politics should stay out of science: 5/10/2017 16:15:05

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 53
Not me.
Emotion and politics should stay out of science: 5/10/2017 16:21:26

Japanball
Level 56
Tabby, can we have a rational discussion
Emotion and politics should stay out of science: 5/10/2017 16:53:11

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 53
Sure!
Emotion and politics should stay out of science: 5/10/2017 17:40:27

Japanball
Level 56
In private?
Emotion and politics should stay out of science: 5/10/2017 17:43:18

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 53
Sure! :-)
Emotion and politics should stay out of science: 5/10/2017 17:56:27

Japanball
Level 56
Posts 1 - 19 of 19   

Contact | About WarLight | Play Risk Online | Multiplayer Strategy Game | Challenge Friends, Win Money | Skill Game | Terms of Service