Help
Community   Maps   Forum   Mail   Ladders   Clans   Recent Games
Sign In | Sign Up
<< Back to Off-topic Forum   

Posts 1 - 15 of 15   
"Cats rule the world" and nontheism: 3/24/2017 15:56:39

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 53
We can translate "Cats rule the world!" into different languages and search it online. If speakers of a language contain a sufficient amount of nontheists you can find people who post such a claim. However if speakers of a language are largely theists you generally can not find people online who post such a claim.

The key here is that theists generally can not even take this as a joke or something fun. So this "cat test" can actually reveal how religious a population is. For example the non-religious Czechs are fine with claims that cats rule the world at least as some joke.

Edited 3/24/2017 16:04:50
"Cats rule the world" and nontheism: 3/24/2017 16:04:08

The Lord
Level 55
This thread is so retarded I'm starting to rethink what I said about you yesterday. Even with 80 IQ one should be able to understand concepts such as Lie algebra and Abelian groups if one just tries very, very hard.
"Cats rule the world" and nontheism: 3/24/2017 16:06:16

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 53
^Abelian groups aren't very hard. If you want me to explain to the public what that thing is, think of integers with addition. Then I think it works. An Abelian group basically has the same properties (in a rough sense) integers have if the only operations allowed are addition (and subtraction which is just adding the additive inverse of something). In fact that's the definition.

Lie Algebras are a little bit harder but still can be explained if people have heard of matrices. You can think of them as matrices with the Lie Bracket simply [A,B]=AB-BA. Basically according to Ado's Theorem this is what all finite dimensional Lie Algebras are.

There are much harder things. For example categories are good but they are hard to explain to people without enough background in mathematics (I mean it's not the definition that is that hard. The key issue is that without enough examples you will believe we just invent these concepts to torture people. No we didn't. However you need at least enough knowledge in modern algebra and maybe topology to appreciate it.). However I can easily explain a part of what I do if someone wants to hear about that. Basically an associative algebra is just a vector space/module plus multiplication so we have three operations now, addition, constant multiplication (k*A->A) and multiplication (A*A->A). Note that a commutative algebra is just a direct product of commutative local algebras while noncommutative ones are more complicated. Some structures simply become trivial if the algebra is commutative.

This is the funny thing about mathematics. If something is so simple nobody cares about it. If it is so hard to the point that nothing can be done about it people won't care much about it either unless they have some good reasons to do so. That's why nobody in math cares about stuff such as semisimple associative algebras. People working in commutative algebra care about harder things than people working in noncommutative algebra because the better the object you study the more you want to know about it. As for bad structures they are so bad that people don't demand too many good properties from them any more.

Edited 3/24/2017 16:22:21
"Cats rule the world" and nontheism: 3/24/2017 16:22:47

The Lord
Level 55
At least this is slightly more interesting than the topic of this thread.
"Cats rule the world" and nontheism: 3/24/2017 16:23:23

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 53
Also this thread is not retarded. The ability to take a joke that may sound offensive to most of the deeply theistic people does show how theist a society is.
"Cats rule the world" and nontheism: 3/24/2017 16:24:53

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 53
^^For example not many people care about semigroups that are not monoids. Non-associative algebras? I don't know how many people care about them unless they are Lie Algebras or something similar to them. I mean..they are so ugly. I don't unless you have some other nice structures. Life is bad enough when things don't commute. Do you really want to remove associativity?

I doubt whether people even know how many subsemigroups of N exist.

(Abstract) algebra is solely based on axioms. If you don't even have enough properties given in your axioms there aren't a lot you can do about your structures.

Edited 3/24/2017 16:28:34
"Cats rule the world" and nontheism: 3/24/2017 16:35:56

The Lord
Level 55
Have you ever managed to produce new science? And if yes, does it have any real world practical application?
"Cats rule the world" and nontheism: 3/24/2017 16:39:28

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 53
^Math is not science. Science studies the universe while math is independent of reality just like logic. I can use a hypothetical scenario to make the distinction. If there were an alternative universe that is 30-dimensional Physics in that universe would be different from that in ours. However the math principles would be the same as long as the axioms are the same. In math people talk about k^n, not just R^3 or R^10 that are relevant to the universe.

https://www.math.utah.edu/~cherk/mathjokes.html This can help you understand what math is really about. No we don't care about numbers other than 0 and 1 in general because these two have good algebraic properties. (So in essence we study structures)

I do have one paper on arXiv. The stuff I wrote about is new but it does not seem to have any application IRL however my field is indeed related to quantum mechanics.

I have finished a really short paper as well on a problem that is more popular. Basically many associative algebras are evil in some sense. (I can explain more if you are interested.) My advisor wants to generalize some result from good algebras to evil ones (roughly speaking) and I did make the gap a bit smaller. He has to fill in the rest and publish with others.

Edited 3/24/2017 16:55:25
"Cats rule the world" and nontheism: 3/24/2017 17:22:32

The Lord
Level 55
I can explain more if you are interested.

Please do.
"Cats rule the world" and nontheism: 3/24/2017 18:06:48

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 53
Do you know what a module is? It is just like a vector space but over an arbitrary ring. We are interested in classifying finite dimensional modules over an associative algebra. Sometimes it is possible. Sometimes it is not.

When it is impossible these algebras are largely understudied because people don't have too many ideas about them. Our project is actually related to these crazy associative algebras. Well we won't even attempt to do classification here since not many people are even working on that hard project now. I do know of two people who are still doing that. One is a coauthor of someone I personally know. In fact I was reading his work related to this problem several days ago. Yeah there is also another person who is playing with these algebras but from a different perspective.

Edited 3/24/2017 18:15:27
"Cats rule the world" and nontheism: 3/24/2017 18:16:43

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 53
Do you know Jordan Canonical Forms and matrix conjugation? If you do I can pm you an interesting open question nobody has solved yet. Entire fields of mathematics are impaired by this problem.

Yeah conjugation does not seem to be rocket science, right? Almost all STEM people probably know how to do them. Square matrices are basically Jordan Canonical Forms up to conjugation. Let's just change a condition and it becomes a major headache.

Edited 3/24/2017 18:20:46
"Cats rule the world" and nontheism: 3/24/2017 18:49:57

The Lord
Level 55
If you do I can pm you an interesting open question nobody has solved yet. Entire fields of mathematics are impaired by this problem.

I can read up on it. You can send me the question.
"Cats rule the world" and nontheism: 3/24/2017 19:07:21

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 53
I have sent you the problem.:3
"Cats rule the world" and nontheism: 3/24/2017 20:24:57

MightySpeck (a Koala) 
Level 58
why use Cats rule the world. just make holocaust jokes and you'll figure out if they hate jews too!
"Cats rule the world" and nontheism: 3/24/2017 20:37:54

(((Tabby Juggernaut)))
Level 53
^Well I do agree. If you have enough haters of Jews you will have Holocaust jokes.

One thing I discovered is that I can find "cats rule the world" in English, French, German, Czech, Hebrew, Polish, Russian, Korean and Chinese. However it does not exist in Turkish or Malay.

Edited 3/24/2017 20:39:50
Posts 1 - 15 of 15   

Contact | About WarLight | Play Risk Online | Multiplayer Strategy Game | Challenge Friends, Win Money | Skill Game | Terms of Service