Interested in trying a new game (that's nothing like WarLight)?
Try the Trench Wars server within the game Continuum! (Previously known as Subspace.)
This is an old game that was released during the 1990s, but it's now entirely player-driven. It's 100% free (no ads, no premium memberships, nothing.)
I wrote up a little guide on how to get started. This guide assumes you're running Windows. There may be a way to get it working on Mac or Linux, but you're on you own for that.
- Install Continuum from the Download link at http://www.trenchwars.org
- Let it refresh your zone list and close the Add/Update Zones window.
- Set the Resolution drop-down to 1280x1024, or lower if you're on a low-resolution screen (higher resolutions won't work)
- Go to View -> Options, Check Transparent Stats Box
- Click the Chat tab. Check "No Duplicate Messages" and change Chat Window to "Always Show"
- Click the Radar tab. Check "Transparent Map" and "Transparent Radar"
- Click the Menu tab. Uncheck "Interface Tooltips" and check "Zone-specific ships"
- Click the Other tab. Check "Multi-Fire Starts On"
- Close the Options screen.
- Click View -> Profiles
- Enter the name you want to be known as under Player Name. Make up a password and enter it. Click OK
- Click View -> Keyboard/Controller Defs
- Set the hotkey for "Attach" to "`" (backquote, to the left of the 1 key.) You will use this hotkey often and F7 is not a good default.
- Select the server "SSCU Trench Wars" and click Play
- Once in the game, press Escape to access the menu, and then a ship number to enter the game as that ship. For example, press Escape then 3 to enter as the Spider (I recommend Spider as your first ship)
- If your keyboard has a numpad, turn off numlock and use that as your primary controls. This is better than using the arrow keys since the game uses other keys near the numpad.
- While in-game, join the WarLight squad by typing ?squadjoin=WarLight:wlpass
- You can start messages with a semi-colon to communicate with the squad. This allows WarLight players to talk to each-other in game.